Engineering Manager - SRE
Who are we?
Let’s face it - finding a place to live in ranges from moderately painful to abysmal. Taking time off work for multiple viewings, competition for the best properties, and relentless admin fees make the process time consuming, lengthy and complicated. At Spotahome, we are on a mission to reinvent the property rental experience by making it transparent, instant, and exciting. Loved at last: Unreal estate.
We’re an online marketplace offering anyone, anywhere a comprehensive listing of apartments, rooms, studios, and student residences in the city of their choice. Our home checkers personally check thousands of rooms taking professional photos, HD video tours and designing floor plans, meaning potential tenants can find their new home 100% remotely.
Spotahome has raised a total of $72 million in capital. It is a private series B company backed by Kleiner Perkins, Passion Capital and Seaya Ventures as main investors. Investors also include Travis Kalanick (Uber), Drew Houston (Dropbox), Jeremy Stoppelman (Yelp), Arthur Kosten (Booking.com), amongst others. Since launching in 2014, we’ve grown to over 300 people. The rental market in Europe is worth $500B per year (https://bloom.bg/2dPsBDJ)… this is Day 1!
What is the SRE team?
As essential part of the Core Engineering Team, the SRE Team`s mission is to empower all our engineers to build delightful experiences for our tenants and landlords.
Our current distributed platform, built from its foundation on top of AWS, Terraform and K8s, provides an ecosystem of services where our business logic lives in the backend platform, and our presentation strategy is handled by different microfrontends and three mobile applications. Data pipeline services follow the same architecture.
You will lead the SRE Team, finding your way through as we scale, providing and maintaining a healthy tech ecosystem with high level of operational automation, availability and performance, that promotes high reliability and resilience practices. You will do this through custom tooling that automates and integrates traffic control, observability stack, isolation, complaining policies and release management in the edge computer layer.
The goal is that all our product engineers can focus on bringing value to our customers using a high-quality engineering platform. Bear in mind that, at a fast-growing environment, new challenges come quickly and require innovative solutions.
You will ensure a culture that incentivizes to bring visibility to issues, putting the focus on the processes and the actions we take to cope with them. We assume failure is inevitable and good risk management is key to minimize impact while thousands of tenants rent homes around the world.
- Great communication abilities, bringing simplicity and being able to expose issues and solutions to the c-level.
- Previous experience in Tech Startups growing at fast pace
- Strong experience working in distributed platforms based on containers
- Familiarity with AWS, Git, Kubernetes.
- Software engineering skills (preferably Go) using best practices.
- Advocate teacher to other team members.
- A learner mentality and winning mindset, satisfied by solving meaningful problems.
- Be obsessive about building an open and united community across all engineering organisation, where SRE practices are shared and everybody is invited to contribute.
- Measure everything, and promote a culture where observability matters.
Nice to have
- Experience running environments with Kubernetes and Prometheus.
- Software and systems engineering at
- Willingness to get scars from running containers at scale.
- Contributions to open source software.
What we value
- Our team has a true passion for creating clean, functional and well-designed code. We love Software Design Patterns, and emphasise reliability, scalability and quality in all of the work we do.
- We are an agile team, with some members working remotely, so we have value strong and open communication. We are fans of solid software architecture and we read and apply some of the DDD principles to create the best product team in a microservices environment. All teams are independent and own their own CI/CD with frontend and backend completely decoupled. We deploy several times a day which means we can see our code in production in record time.
- We’re scaling fast…. Like really fast. With that comes some ambiguity, so you’ll need to be able to move fast and make decisions that will impact our developers and our customers.
- We love learning and we love learners. We don’t expect you to know everything, but we want you to be passionate about learning and self-improvement… regardless of how much experience you have.
Bonus points: It’d be great if you have an open Github account we could take a look at… please include it in your CV/Application if you do!
Our People and Culture
- We were international from the start. Our four founding partners lived all over the world before getting together to create Spotahome and we’re now a team of over 25 different nationalities.
- We live for the customer and embrace simplicity, we trust in trust and constantly innovate - we truly believe in our mission to make renting as simple and fast as getting a coffee.
- We understand that rush-hour can be horrible, and have flexibility around working hours, and there’s no problem with working from home when you need to. We want you to be in the frame of mind to do your best work.
- We don’t want to brag…. But we think our engineers are pretty awesome. We work with cutting edge technologies and are big contributors to opensource (check out our github - ). We encourage all of our engineers to get out into the meet-up space, and constantly sponsor and attend tech talks.
Here at Spotahome we’re passionate about creating an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees.
Everyone is welcome. We don’t discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic including race, religion or belief, gender or gender reassignment, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.
We want to facilitate everyone in bringing their best selves to our interviews, so if there are any adjustments we can make for our process to be more inclusive, please let us know.